About the Site

My photo
Very few people realize there is a country music underground in the New England area...this is your peek inside! Let us be your premier place to find shows/events in the NH/MA/CT area! If you know of events not yet on the calendar, please let me know! To learn about me, please see the "Getting to know me" post... the content that I post is also shared on www.thecountrysite.com. The benefit of this blog now is archives and the New England Show Calendar. All Q&As and reviews will link back to www.thecountrysite.com.

A Touch of Nashville Comes to Boston!


Sunday, October 9, 2011

Today, 1974...Olivia Newton-John went Gold!

Today, 1974...I was almost 3 and already a huge fan of Olivia Newton-John. The song that made her Gold today played a huge role in my 30+ years of admiration for Olivia.
She had a big, warm smile that would invite you to smile with her... She also reminded me a lot of my mother at that time. Both were blonde, large welcoming smiles and had a sense of calm that just enveloped you. I Honestly Love You was a raw, emotional track sang with an innocence that any age would relate.
I have followed her career and been comforted by her music through pretty much my entire life. In the 80s, I had a perm; I went to school one day and a guy in my Biology class called me "Sandy" - I was ever so flattered.
Her voice is angelic and she was such a natural beauty. In my early 20s, after her breast cancer diagnosis, I came to terms with the fact I'd never see her in concert, but a few years after moving to Boston I was blessed with the chance to see her. I was in Heaven and my eyes welled as she sang I Honestly Love You. her voice is raspier than earlier in her career and there is a maturity now that comes through expressing her trials over her life...yet, you can still hear a smile beneath each note.
She remade I Honestly Live you in 1998... if you listen to the two versions, see if you can hear it, too. After all these years, I Honestly Love You, Olivia... Thanks for always being there through ever heartbreak with your song.

No comments:

Post a Comment