About the Site

My photo
Very few people realize there is a country music underground in the New England area...this is your peek inside! Let us be your premier place to find shows/events in the NH/MA/CT area! If you know of events not yet on the calendar, please let me know! To learn about me, please see the "Getting to know me" post... the content that I post is also shared on www.thecountrysite.com. The benefit of this blog now is archives and the New England Show Calendar. All Q&As and reviews will link back to www.thecountrysite.com.

A Touch of Nashville Comes to Boston!


Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Is the Music Industry dying?

6. Music. This is one of the saddest parts of the change story. The music industry is dying a slow death. Not just because of illegal downloading. It's the lack of innovative new music being given a chance to get to the people who would like to hear it. Greed and corruption is the problem. The record labels and the radio conglomerates are simply self-destructing. Over 40% of the music purchased today is "catalog items," meaning traditional music that the public is familiar with. Older established artists. This is also true on the live concert circuit. To explore this fascinating and disturbing topic further, check out the book, "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, and the video documentary, "Before the Music Dies.

My mother forwarded me an email that included the above excerpt. As a music lover since birth, it struck a chord with me. My musical taste has changed over the years and I've always had a great admiration of those with the talent to write, sing or play music that can touch the souls of so many different people. I always wanted to voice like an Olivia Newton-John, play an instrument like Sheila E (don't laugh! She's one hell of a percussionist), and write music as artful & introspective as Tori Amos. I unfortunately wasn't born with any of these talents, but my love of music continues to grow... And, in my car, I put on a heck of a performance.

Personally, I turned to country/rock because of the "auto-tune invasion" of pop music. At first, I loved it mixed into a song or two... But then one day it was all that I heard on every radio station programmed into my radio. I reached beyond my dance music comfort zone and embraced country after seeing a few artists live... Their voices were raw, real and their own. People were playing instruments... No pre-recorded vocals or sound machines. Those that write their own music impress me the most, but sometimes a singers voice is strong enough that it doesn't matter. My only issue is when a country artist remakes a song made popular in another genre as recent as 5 yrs ago, but it works for some. Not all will embrace country/rock but for me it brought me back to my #1 stress reliever. Music will always understand what I'm going through, even when I don't. Music will always offer me a smile, when it seems there is nothing left to bring me joy. I can't be the only person that feels this way?

My wish would be for the music industry to stop with American Idol type stars... Pay attention to those that are busting their butts being original and aren't trying to appeal to the masses. When those "against the grain" types are given to the public we love them. Stop telling us what we should like and give us a choice.

To those that don't want music to die... Go to a show at a small bar/ venue! It's the best way to show you still feel something for music... Good music... Real music. Buy a full cd of an artist you like live. Artists, give a song or two away on your websites to get new people to listen to your music. Let's help breathe life back into music by supporting it from the ground up...

No comments:

Post a Comment