About the Site

My photo
Very few people realize there is a country music underground in the New England area...this is your peek inside! Let us be your premier place to find shows/events in the NH/MA/CT area! If you know of events not yet on the calendar, please let me know! To learn about me, please see the "Getting to know me" post... the content that I post is also shared on www.thecountrysite.com. The benefit of this blog now is archives and the New England Show Calendar. All Q&As and reviews will link back to www.thecountrysite.com.

A Touch of Nashville Comes to Boston!


Monday, September 19, 2011

Toby Keith @ Mansfield, MA Sept 17, 2011

Toby Keith Sept 2011
If you have never seen Toby Keith in concert, country music lover or not, you are missing out on an adrenaline rush. This man knows how to get your heart pumping, feet tapping and American Pride pulsing. He has been overlooked time and time again, but to his fans he will always be the Entertainer of the Year. I know personally, I won't miss his show in Boston and if I had the cash I'd probably see him in Maine, NH, CT AND Boston. He tends to sing his fan favorites throwing in a new song or two for his annual new release (his new cd Clancy's Tavern will be out in October). He know his crowd is there to party and he throws the best party around. He laughs, gets raunchy and delivers his songs perfectly. Some think he forgets his words - if you've been to enough shows, you know he changes the words to be a tad raunchier than the mainstream release. He brought the summer concert season to a fantastic close. I know my friends and I were wondering how it was over so soon and wish it had gone on for at least another 2 hours. He had his typical Ford advertisement video that preceded his entrance... people have called this years video cheesy and yes, I can see that... but being a dog lover I truly enjoyed the innocence of the dogs (ha innocence). Then with two loud explosions Bullets in the Gun was in full effect. He had his Easy Money Band stand with him and in some ways the band is as popular as Toby to the fans. This weekend's show was more energized than last year's show. He was feeling the crowd and the crowd was feeling him. He changed up the videos that play on the big screen behind him - which was refreshing to those that see him every year (though in all honesty who's watching the screens?). Toby sang most of the faves - As Good As I Once Was, I Wanna Talk About Me, Who's Your Daddy, How Do You Like Me Now etc. He also handed the mike over to Mica Roberts, his backup singer who really does have a voice that is worthy of a solo career, but in true fashion... many talented people are overlooked by younger, boppy singers that shouldn't be famous. She rocked out a version of Lady Marmalade and I personally felt she out-sang Christina Aguilera's (& the others) remake. Toby was later joined on stage by Scotty Emerick and they sang some of Toby's infamous bus songs such as Weed With Willie, The Taliban Song, Get Out of My Car, Ballad of Balad... some people may find these songs offensive, but seriously - if you truly listen to them they are always a bit tongue in cheek and if you still have your sense of humour you will enjoy them.
Based on a poll of Toby Keith Warriors an oldie but goodie was also added to the setlist - Toby thrilled crowds with that one chosen slow song Does That Blue Moon Ever Shine On You. He explained how he sang this when he use to open for Reba. One of the other fabulous things about Toby - his voice is always as solid as on cd - if not stronger because his passion for the party shines through and when he hits a slow song - his voice is pure and sincere without ever losing that testosterone that makes women long for him and men want to sit back and drink a whiskey with him. In Toby Keith Tradition, he closed with American Soldier & Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue - always my favorite part of the show and I still get goosebumps. He pulled up 2 Navy Sailors in addition to 2 other guys (we assume they were Military but not sure what branch). They held flags and sang along with Toby. Being from a military town, formerly working with DoD contractors, etc - it always makes me proud that someone makes a point to remembers them. This is why I will always support Toby... in addition to great music, he's an ideal American and people could take a page from his book and learn to respect our Military despite their personal feelings on a war. These are still men & women putting their lives on the line for us - whether we agree or not. Thank you Toby for always remembering that. As much as I wanted to see J.T. Hodges I, unfortunately, missed his short 20 minute set - glad I saw him in VA and feel confident he rocked his show. I was unfortunately selling 3 tickets (because my friends and I decided to upgrade) and had to wait for the people purchasing those tickets to show up - they got stuck in traffic. I did speak to people sitting around us that agreed he was a solid performer and they commented he deserved to perform longer. After J.T., Eric Church performed. He really gets the crowd up and moving - he's not my preferred Toby opener, but the crowd does seem to get energized with him - so he's doing something right. I personally find him to be too "angry" as he thumps his chest. He did sing my personal favorite of his releases Smoke A Little Smoke and he does sound great live. MY issue is purely his stage presence.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called Toby Keith Sept 2011. Make your own badge here.

Broken Records sits down with JT Hodges

No comments:

Post a Comment